Did you know most people, especially Gen Z, and Millennials, are more likely to choose a restaurant or bar based on social media and reviews? It can be frightening for you as a restaurant owner or manager, but it can also be a massive opportunity for your restaurant.
Social media has become integral to any business’s marketing strategy, and restaurants are no exception. Marketing your brand through social media can help you increase brand recognition, draw in prospective customers, and win their loyalty.
However, with so many social media platforms available, it can be overwhelming for a restaurant owner to choose which ones to use and how to distribute the posts over the months.
In this blog post, we will discuss the social media platforms a restaurant should have and what they should post, and as a bonus, you’ll get a downloadable social media calendar we created just for you
What Social Media Platform Should a Restaurant Use?
As a restaurant owner, you probably already know that social media can be a powerful marketing tool. But with so many different social media platforms out there, it can be overwhelming to figure out which ones are right for your restaurant.
Here are some of the social media platforms that every restaurant should consider:
With over 2.7 billion monthly active users, Facebook is the largest social media platform in the world. It’s also an incredibly versatile platform that can be used to connect with customers, showcase your menu and specials, and run targeted ads to reach new audiences.
You can also improve your social marketing strategies by using Facebook ads, an affordable way to promote your business. You can increase the reach of your posts, orders, and sales by paying for Facebook ads. Additionally, people will be more likely to visit your website and use your food-ordering app (if you have one).
It’s well known that the first information your brain gets about any particular food often comes from your eyes. Instagram is a visual platform that’s perfect for sharing photos and videos of your food, drinks, and restaurant atmosphere. You can use it to create social media posts that look visually appealing and attract clients.
With over 1 billion monthly active users, it’s a great way to reach a younger demographic and showcase your restaurant’s unique personality. Someone will surely visit your establishment after seeing your post on their Instagram feed.
Twitter is a fast-paced platform perfect for sharing quick updates, engaging with customers, and participating in conversations about food and dining. It’s also an excellent platform for customer service, as many people turn to Twitter to voice their complaints or praise about restaurants.
Like Instagram, Tiktok is a great platform for showcasing your restaurant’s personality and creativity, but it works better by sharing short, engaging videos. If you want to promote something unique on your menu, making creative videos is a great way to increase your followers and attract new customers.
Media creators also have a significant impact on consumers’ spending habits. The potential for something to go viral increases dramatically if you team up with an influencer who has a sizable online following and can sway the purchasing decisions of their followers.
While not technically a social media platform, Yelp is a powerful tool for restaurants. If you’re a new restaurant in the area and want people to find you online, Yelp is a great way to attract potential visitors. Also, your clients can leave reviews and ratings on this platform, which can significantly impact your restaurant’s reputation and visibility.
What Should a Restaurant Post on Social Media?
When it comes to social media for restaurants, there are endless possibilities for what you can post. Here are some creative ideas to get you started:
- Food and drink photos: Showcase your menu items with mouthwatering images that will make your followers drool. Don’t be afraid to get creative with your decoration, plating, and presentation. For example, you can post a photo of a seasonal cocktail you created, complete with fresh herbs and presented in a one-of-a-kind glass.
- Behind-the-scenes glimpses: Give your followers a peek behind the curtain by sharing photos and videos of your kitchen, staff, or daily operations. For example, you can post on TikTok a time-lapse video of your chef preparing a dish from start to finish or share on Instagram a photo of your team celebrating a successful night in the restaurant.
- Special promotions: Use social media to promote special deals and offers, such as happy hour discounts or limited-time menu items. You can post a graphic advertising your “Taco Tuesday” special, share a photo of your latest dessert creation and announce a limited-time offer. It can be great for Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram stories.
- Customer reviews and testimonials: Share positive reviews and testimonials from happy customers to build social proof and increase trust in your restaurant. You can post as an Instagram story a screenshot of a glowing review on Yelp and thank the customer for their kind words.
- Engage with your followers: Use social media to start conversations with your followers and build a sense of community around your restaurant. Ask your followers to share their favorite menu items or invite them to suggest new dishes for your menu. You can also run polls to get feedback on potential menu changes or promotions. This idea can work on platforms like Twitter or Instagram.
Why Do You Need a Social Media Calendar?
It’s no secret that getting the word out about your business on social media is challenging. Don’t worry, though; we’ve got your back. A social media content calendar allows you to plan content throughout the year and take advantage of relevant dates.
A social media calendar can be a valuable tool for restaurants for several reasons:
- Consistency: A social media calendar can help restaurants stay consistent in their social media activity. By planning out content in advance, restaurants can ensure they regularly post engaging content that resonates with their audience.
- Organization: A social media calendar can help restaurants stay organized and track what content they have posted and what they plan to publish. This helps avoid duplicating content or posting too much of the same thing.
- Timing: A social media calendar can help restaurants time their content for maximum impact. For example, if a restaurant wants to promote a special offer or event, it can plan its social media content around that to build excitement and anticipation.
- Strategy: A social media calendar can help restaurants plan their social media strategy in advance. This can help them align their social media activity with their broader marketing goals and ensure they are targeting the right audience with the right message.
Restaurant Social Media Calendar Template
We want you to better understand how to plan your social media marketing strategies. For that reason, we’ve created a social media content calendar you can download to have instant access and edit as you need. You can use it on Microsoft Word, Apple Pages, or Google Docs to plan and consult whenever you need it.
Remember to set clear goals, weekly topics, and content types, and select the proper platform to post your content. You can start by posting the content we suggested on important dates and adding creative ideas to please your clients.
Are you ready to start planning your social media strategy? Then, take advantage of our templates to take your business to a new level!
That’s a basic template to get you started. Of course, you can customize this to fit your restaurant’s specific needs and goals. Just make sure to review and update the calendar regularly to ensure that it stays relevant and effective.If you need professional assistance, contact our digital marketing and social media experts at Nativo to provide you with the right solutions you need!